Southeast Community Development Center |
Neighborhood Reinvestment Center
Location: Baltimore, MD
Client: Southeast CDC
Services: Architecture, Engineering, and Interior Design
Contractor: Holland Construction
USGBC MD Excellence in Sustainable Design 2014
ULI Wavemaker Award
Excellence in Design, AIA Baltimore
Baltimore Heritage Award
This historic structure, three townhouses, is specifically mentioned in the description of the Patterson Park/Highlandtown National Register District and it is physically in the Canton National Register District. In 1923 the original three townhouses were combined and converted into a hardware store. The Pratt Library occupied the building for the past 40 years until it recently expanded into the regional branch located to the east on Eastern Avenue.
Two floors have been converted into offices for the Southeast Community Development Corporation and the first floor has been converted into a restaurant. A roof terrace has been created for community classes on sustainable practices for urban gardens, a program currently provided by the CDC.
The project achieved Three Stars in the BCGBS Program (Baltimore City Green Building Standards)- The equivalent of LEED® Gold. Some of the green strategies employed include:
1) Rooftop solar panels,
2) Cool roof,
3) Extensive green roof,
4) Intensive green roof (roof garden),
5) Rainwater harvesting for the roof garden, and
6) Rooftop herb garden for the restaurant.